Wednesday, July 14, 2010

You Never Know

I had to twist the arms of the Stooges today to get off the couch. I was running to the Elliot Street house to pick up something I had left behind and asked if they would like to come along for the ride. No one was interested so I pretty much insisted. They complained on the way there but I had a feeling once we were there they would find something to keep themselves occupied. I pulled in the driveway and told them that we should walk down to the beach and see what it was like. They begrudgingly followed and much to their own surprise were delighted to be there. The tide was low so there was more smooth beach than the last time we were there. JB thought it looked like a great place to draw so they went in search of a stick (not always easy to find on a beach) and found the perfect one. They began to draw and run from one jetty to the other all the while not realizing how much fun they were having. The drawings turned into symbols for each Stooge; one meant peace, one love and one family. Altogether the symbols mean friendship. I feel privileged to have been there to watch all of this transpire. I just wish I had been able to capture a few images. It began to rain but that didn't stop any of them and much to my surprise I wanted to stay in the rain as well. The sand wall and trenches that they built to protect their symbols were holding up well but we will be returning in the morning to see how they fared. I will bring my camera tomorrow and capture what I can. By the way, the stick they found had now been dubbed 'the scribe' and was brought back with us. I can already picture them ten or so years out still pulling out 'the scribe' each year to draw their symbol. They are truly a special group of Stooges.

No comments: