Monday, January 25, 2010

The Debate Party

We received an email a few weeks ago from a good friend saying that his cousin was running for governor. He would appreciate it if we could support him by putting a yard sign up or hosting a debate party. When I read it I thought that a debate party would be a good idea but then dismissed it because I feel like I am so busy with everything else that it would be just one more thing I am trying to cram into my week. Then I got a call from a neighbor asking if I would like to co-host a debate party. I figured at that point I should do it so with little planning we put on a debate party tonight. When I told my mother what we were doing she almost dropped the phone. "When did you become political?" she said. I told her that I am doing this as a favor to a friend, but I really feel like before I go to the polls next week I should have some idea about what the people running for office represent. This would 'force' me to watch the debate and become more informed. I know this isn't a shocking notion, but with all the political adds that have been running for months, I tend to tune them out because they are so frequent, so nasty and so annoying! As it turns out we had a small gathering of neighbors and our good friend, the cousin, and his wife. The debate was run in a more casual manner, but the moderator was very good and it gave me a good idea of what these two candidates have to offer. Here is a link to the Huffington Posts article regarding the debate. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/25/dan-hynes-pat-quinn-debat_n_436329.html Off to the polls on February 2, 2010.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Whoo Hoo! Leif thinks I am a political hottie and I bet your man thinks you are now, too!!