One of my favorite Christmas traditions is placing a candle in each window. Not only is it beautiful from the street, but it brings back wonderful childhood memories. I used to love to go to bed when the candles were lit because they cast such a comforting light across the room. The tradition comes from my Irish heritage. It is said that in Ireland, after the practice of Catholicism had been outlawed in the late 17th Century, families would place a candle in the window at Christmas, an invitation that a priest was welcome to celebrate a clandestine Mass in that home. The candle was also a symbol of welcome to the Holy Family, looking for a place at the inn. I believe that the first city in the US to adopt this tradition was Boston. I remember so many houses having the candles in the windows. It was beautiful. There aren't too many houses around here that do it, but I still do because of how it makes me feel. Merry Christmas to all!
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
A Favorite Tradition
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is placing a candle in each window. Not only is it beautiful from the street, but it brings back wonderful childhood memories. I used to love to go to bed when the candles were lit because they cast such a comforting light across the room. The tradition comes from my Irish heritage. It is said that in Ireland, after the practice of Catholicism had been outlawed in the late 17th Century, families would place a candle in the window at Christmas, an invitation that a priest was welcome to celebrate a clandestine Mass in that home. The candle was also a symbol of welcome to the Holy Family, looking for a place at the inn. I believe that the first city in the US to adopt this tradition was Boston. I remember so many houses having the candles in the windows. It was beautiful. There aren't too many houses around here that do it, but I still do because of how it makes me feel. Merry Christmas to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I didn't know the tradition of the candles. Where did you get that info? I love it!
the internet, of course...
Post a Comment