Thursday, December 17, 2009

Backstage

After several days of Nutcracker freedom, we were back downtown today for the morning performance for Chicago Public Schools. Sarah had to miss school and I had to take a day off of work but I wouldn't miss it for anything. I was scheduled to work backstage today with the Tree Angels. This meant I got to go to Wigs which of course made me think of when Sarah was a Snow Tree Angel in 2007. Here is one of my favorite pictures of her with her snow wig and angel crown. This year the procedure has changed a bit which was exciting for me because I got to see something new. In fact, this year I have seen many new things backstage. Today, I got to take the Snow Tree Angels to the Stage Left entrance and wait for them there. What I didn't realize is that once you enter the Stage Left door and ascend the stairs you are on stage. We could see the show going on and the dancers in the wings stretching, talking, walking around with their big puffy slippers and even the Harlequin Mom and Dad doing a crazy warm up dance with the dolls before they make their entrance. These are all things that I love about working backstage. Here are a few other things that have come up this year that I haven't seen in years past; a Snow Tree Angel who had just gotten her ears pierced and 'couldn't' take out her earrings. Well, there are no earrings allowed on stage so the anxious angel took out her earrings and to my knowledge all is well. There was another Snow Tree Angel who forgot she was dancing the other night and didn't arrive until after curtain! When I brought her down to Wigs, they were just finishing the eleventh wig and just slipped right in there and all was well. Today, we had a Soldier bring a lamp to the dressing room because her dressing area (a small room in the larger dressing room) didn't have much light at all. This small gesture was greatly appreciated by the two other soldiers that share this small room and now all is well. I have also seen Mice get scolded for changing choreography on stage. They were right in front of Drosselmeyer when they executed the change. Bad idea Ms. Mouse. There was also some scolding for a couple of the Mounted Mice. It is always exciting backstage and you never know what is going to happen next. Each night, the same show is going from the seats of the theatre, but backstage is a whole different story. Oh, I almost forgot. Today, the dance outreach teacher who had been helping the Snow Tree Angels in rehearsals, came up to the dressing room to see which of the angels would like to go onstage after the show and talk to some of the students in the audience. It was obvious that he is great with the kids, because as soon as he walked in the room, he was inundated with hugs from all the angels. Then when he started to ask who would like to volunteer, everyone's hand went up in the air. He hadn't even asked the question yet! I also had a brief conversation with WS today about the company photographer and a picture that he was able to capture of the snow scene with the Snowflakes in the particular movement he had been trying to capture for years with daughter AS in the background but clearly visible. It is now framed and hanging on the wall. How I would love to see all the pictures that have been taken. I remember sitting at Dress Rehearsal last year not far from where the photographer was sitting and hearing the shutter each time his camera took a picture. You could tell he was an expert at his craft because he was able to catch the dancers at just the right moment no matter what the movement. Just another thing I love about the whole experience. Did I mention that Sarah really likes it too!! Six more show to go. I can't wait to see what else might happen. Merde!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Oh...I need you to call me! We missed you last night and I want to catch up...maybe we could meet for coffee next week...you and Sarah could swing by for a late lunch after a matinee...

Mb said...

I really wish we could have come to the party, but I was exhausted. The only day next week I am free is Christmas Eve. I have a real job now. I'll call soon.