Thursday, May 20, 2010
Jury Duty
I received a summons for jury duty several weeks ago for today. So off I drove to the Court House this morning.
I haven't had to go to Jury Duty before. The first time I received a noticed the kids were really little so I wrote a note saying I couldn't go. Then I received a stand by jury notice and called the day before to find out I didn't have to go. That has happened several times including back in February. They finally caught up with me this time. I wasn't sure where to go after I went through the metal detector so I asked the gal at the information booth. "Room 219" she said. I found the escalators and then made my way to Room 219.
After I checked in I started reading my book. There were only five or so people there which was not what I had anticipated. Several more people straggled in took their places. A half an hour or so later a woman came in to tell us that it was going to be a short day. She would show us a movie and then let us go around 11:30. Of course I was delighted to hear that I would have part of my afternoon free, but I was also surprised to feel a bit disappointed. I really didn't want to go but once I found out I wouldn't get to do anything it was a bit of a let down. I received my check and went home for lunch. The book I had started reading was so good I decided to neglect the house chores and continue reading. I should finish the book tonight. That might be a record for me. I now have one full year before I can get called again for jury duty. We will wait and see what happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Surprised to hear that you can be called again in a year. We can only be called once every three years.
That's Illinois for you!
I was called for jury duty in Chicago at 26th and California a few years ago and I was actually placed on a jury. I went the voir dire process with a young hot shot lawyer running the show and he made two potential jurors cry. It was fantastic!!
Post a Comment