Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Bad Afternoon

Yesterday started out like any other Wednesday. Sarah and Colin rode their bikes to school like they always do when the weather is nice. I feel so fortunate that we live close enough to school that they can exercise their independence and ride to and from school. I went about my work and shortly before they were expected home my friend KZ dropped off her 1 year old so he could nap while she went to school for floor hockey. I then prepared our 'homework island' so Colin and Sarah could get right to work. They both had activities later that day.

Sarah arrived home first, which is a little out of the ordinary. Then she said "something is going on because there are helicoptors flying all over" which is also out of the ordinary. I hadn't even heard them. Almost ten minutes went by and Colin wasn't home so I called my neighbor JL to see if her son was home yet since they had biked together in the morning. She said she was on her way to get them because they had started off on their bikes when they were called back. GD took them into her car because there was word that a man was walking around with a rifle!!! JL would meet GD and bring Colin home. All I kept thinking was "This doesn't seem right."

When I told Sarah about what was happening she started telling me about this man that had been sitting on a guardrail right next to where all the bikers exit school property. She had been no more than ten feet from this strange man while leaving school. She began to describe him and tell me that she thinks she had seen him during choir practice the day before helping out in the church. I just kept thinking, "This doesn't seem right." Then the phone rang. It was a good friend of Sarah's who knew that she had ridden her bike. She was checking to see that she got home safely. That phone call made me feel great knowing that the kids care that much to check on each other. A very nice moment in the midst of much uncertainty.

I went outside to get Colin when JL came and she said that the school had gone into lockdown as school was getting out so some kids had left while others were escorted back into school. I texted KZ, who was at school to see what she knew. She said the police were there and escorting people to their cars to leave. She then texted me a picture of the suspect (the police must have brought it by the school and she snapped a picture with her phone). I showed it to Sarah. It was not the man that she saw. Another moment of relief.

In the meantime, the police had broadcast a phone message saying that they were looking for a 44 year old blond man wearing a white tshirt, a black and white hat, possibly armed, carrying a dark duffle bag. I made a few more phone calls trying to thank those that helped and to get some more clarity on the situation. An hour later, we received another broadcast message saying that the suspect had been located and that they were no longer looking for anyone. More relief. Sarah was quite shaken by this whole incident and decided that she did not want to go to ballet. She wanted to stay home. I checked in with KZ and she said that the police had left school and things were returning to normal.

According to the Southtown Star, the suspect had an argument with his uncle whom he attacked, and then fled the scene. The police notified the district schools to go into lockdown, but did not call any of the private schools. A mom from our school called the police when she saw the same man that Sarah had seen because no one knew who he was or why he was there. As it turns out, he had been at the school the day before like Sarah had thought, because he was helping out one of the maintenance engineers. An 'ugly' coincidence that turned out to be a blessing. Sarah said "I always thought of school as a safe place." As well she should. We just need to remember to be aware of our surroundings and listen to our 'gut' when it tells us something is not right. She did just the right thing yesterday and I am so proud of her. The suspect was caught a few towns over an hour or so after all this happened.

It was very refreshing when today went like clockwork. No surprises.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

......but all is well... Thank God!

Mel said...

Whoa...I mean super whoa.